Friday, May 18, 2012

Pass the Salt. No, Really.

I've been in a state of transition over the past few weeks what with moving back to the beach and all. And with the upheaval, I'm finding that I have to eat out more than I like too (for those who are new…I'm not a big fan of dining out. See blog post http://bit.ly/dHnzez). But it's not always the wait staff that frustrates me. It's the incredible amount of salt that many restaurants hide in their dishes.

Somewhere, somehow, in our drive to eat healthier: low fat, low carb, slow food, etc. we've seemed to have lost our way regarding salt. It appears that restaurants are placating our desire to eat low fat/low carb foods with items that deliver.

But with a price.

And that price is sodium.

That's why I title this post "Pass the Salt". Because that's what I want you to do. Pass it. Right by me. I won't be needing to add any to many of the offerings I find in my local restaurants.

Let me explain.

Subway has ensconced itself in our psyche as being one of the places to pick up a quick and healthy meal. And to a good extent they've succeeded with several sandwiches and wraps. Now they offer breakfast. And since we're convinced through spokespeople like Jared and Apolo that their offerings are wholesome, why not skip Mickey D's and head over to Subway for their appetite-satisfying Foot Long Mega Omelet Sandwich. Sounds good, eh? But wait…

This particular b'fast sandwich packs 1,430 calories, 90 grams of fat, and 3,530 milligrams of salt. Well, we all know how those 1,430 calories fit into a 2,500 calorie diet. And we know how those 90 grams of fat fit into a diet that recommends 50 - 70 grams of fat: with a crowbar. But how much is 3,530 mgs of salt? Well…that's over 1-1/2 teaspoons.

When was the last time you poured 1-1/2 teaspoons of salt on anything, let alone a sandwich?

Okay. Forget breakfast. Let's grab some lunch.

Stir fry sound good? Oh yeah!

How about PF Chang's Beef and Broccoli? Think about it: thin strips of beef and broccoli stir-fried to perfection. Wait. Hold on. This dish packs 1,090 calories and 65 grams of fat. Okay, we might be aware that many restaurant food choices tip the scale in the calorie and fat department. Even if it's stir-fried. But this dish also contains 3,752 mg's of sodium - A tad more than the b'fast we just passed up!

So, forget lunch. How bout a salad for dinner? I hear Chili's has a Boneless Buffalo Chicken Salad to die for. That would be better than a slab of ribs or a burger, eh?

Think again.

While this salad boasts chicken, it's far from healthy. Why? It packs 1,110 calories and 79 grams of fat. But here's the kicker: 4,150 mg's of sodium. That's nearly 2 teaspoons! Let me ask you, when you make a salad at home, do you even consider tossing 2 teaspoons of salt into each bowl?

I didn't think so.

But here's the surprising thing. None of these dishes taste really "salty". This is why folks smarter than me call it "hidden salt".

Oh…and you know that little packet of ketchup you get at McDonalds? The one that just may coat three or four fries? Well, that little baby packs nearly as much salt as the order of fries you just purchased. And who uses just one small packet of ketchup on their fries?

Now you know why I don't dine out often.

However, I love the spirit of community, the shared drinks, and the good conversation that a night out provides.

So now I go light on the food. And the most salt I get is from the rim of my margarita glass. And if I'm in an Irish pub I pass on the margarita and order a Guinness or Smithwicks. I still have a great night out and I don't return home resembling a salt lick.

23 comments:

  1. I'm with you on this one Warren! My husband and I cut down on eating out to save money, and started entertaining more at home. I know we're healthier for eating home-cooked meals ( Joe's blood pressure has gone down enough to stop his medicine), and it's so much more relaxing. Occasionally we meet up with friends at a local pub that has good live music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Karen, we are on the same page! We still go out but it's more for the drinks/music/atmosphere than to eat. Unless of course it's Thursday nite at Salt Life in Jax Beach where we can get a dozen raw oysters on the half-shell for $5 and $2 margaritas (like we did yesterday!)

      Delete
  2. Amen! And then sugar gets used to hide the salt (or maybe a ton of fat). Really ticks me off. What a waste of calories and sodium. Grr...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Becca! The sugar thing needs a blog post of it's own, lol. Thanks for pointing that out.

      Delete
  3. And then there's msg in our part of the world, on top of salt AND sugar!. Scary.
    Each time we dine out or do a take out, we'd need glasses of water to quench the raging thirst after that ... and a fuzzy tongue to boot.
    Subway's really (and I mean, REALLY) popular here. Don't know if it's the stuff you get but I hate processed meats (altho they do have some roasted meats but they look suspicious to me) ... now there's tons of salt in those! Ew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Ping. Yes, MSG. More hidden salt! Yet, another blog post, lol.

      Delete
  4. I never dine out except on special occasions anymore. Salt is definitely one of the reasons. I did recently grab a McD's for the first time in three years - but I fell on the floor about the ketchup. I had no idea!! Thanks for the post Warren.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Kathy. Special occasions is pretty much my modus operandi as well (especially if someone else is buying, lol). But eating out because of the move reminded me, again, why I don't eat out often. :-)

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so true.

    Here's the thing about losing weight via a "Subway Diet": it really only works if you were eating a "McDonald's Diet" before. It's one of the great fallacies of American advertising. Lots of refined bread, salt, and low-quality meats? Must be healthy!

    I saw an interesting interview with Dr. Oz yesterday, where he mentioned "low-fat," "low-carb," etc. food items. His comment was that when you take out nutrients that made up fat, you are left with a higher density of sugar calories. When you take out carbs or sugar, you are usually left with artificial sweeter. He suggested just eating "real food," and eating less of it. I'm not always the biggest Dr. Oz fan, but I totally agree. It can be really hard to eat healthily when you're out to eat though, so I totally sympathize!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Maggie. That's a great point about the Subway vis a vis McDonald's Diet. I'm sure that most of us who cook from scratch at home would actually gain weight if we resorted to this. And I don't know much about Dr. Oz, but he is spot on with this observation!

      Delete
  7. Warren - I am so there with you on this one. Funny that when I was in culinary school, the most common critique from my instructors was that I didn't add enough salt. Of course, I wanted to get a good grade, so I obliged them. But when I cook for myself or my family I use it sparingly (pepper, on the other hand is a whole different matter...I LOVE the stuff!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @dinnerisserved. That is funny, Ann. But I guess you gotta do what you gotta do to get the grade. But like you, I use salt "to taste" (which is sparingly) and make up for it with other spices, wine and fruit juice. :-)

      Delete
  8. Hello!

    I agree too. I am very sensitive to salt and I can taste it in lots of things. I don't really add any salt to anything, fries etc; because I don't like the taste. Some spices like cajun taste salty and I like those, but pure salt-yuk! Bacon, ham - all too salty for me..

    Anyway, you get the point, but to prove it Warren please do take a look at my vegetarian tagine which I made just this week - there's no added salt, tons of spices and heat,and loads of vegetables. OK, there's a fair bit of preparation, but I think it's worth it for great-tasting, healthy food. Now please excuse me, I can hear an apple crisp (crumble) calling me from the kitchen. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am right with you Kookie Girl. Since I don't use much salt it jumps out at me when I dine out. Oh, and I did see your tagine - love the spices (and garlic!) Now save some of that apple crisp for me, lol.

      Delete
  9. I agree so completely!! When we eat out it seems like it takes days for that oversalted feeling to leave. There are better ways to impart flavor than salt and it's a shame these restaurants rely solely on that. We eat out very little but it is hard when you have to to eat out. Hopefully you'll not be at the mercy of the salty menus much longer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheri! All the moving is done so it's back to home cooked meals with real food. :-)

      Delete
  10. I so agree with you! There are restaurants that I can't order their pizza anymore as it is so salt laiden, even there veggie ones. Salt has it's place but never in excess! Cheers, Tara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Tara! That's why I love making my own mini-pizzas at home. :-D

      Delete
  11. Hi Warren! You're absolutely right. It takes me longer in the grocery store because if I want to try a new ingredient I always study the label the carb, fat and SODIUM content. More people have high blood pressure and gaining weight due to salt. As I get older, it gets harder to lose weight. But I noticed a huge difference if eat homemade meal at night versus eating out and if I eat a salad instead of pasta. So now it's varied homemade salads where I quickly sautee my own chicken breast strips without adding tons of sodium. then lettuce, tomatoes, pinenuts and tiny bit of cheese and dollop of my own homemade dressing with walnut oil. Dr. Oz says Walnut oil is good for preventing wrinkles. But it sure is expensive! Christine www.myfabulousflorida.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Christine! Good to hear from you! I think a lot of people are beginning to do just what you do. Now that fresh produce is available in every market (not to mention at the local farmer's markets) we no longer have any excuses! Haven't heard that about the walnut oil...but as I approach middle age I just may have to look into it! (btw...my debut novel was just released. I need to get you a copy!)

      Delete
  12. Thanks for the interesting post! I too am not a big fan of salt and use it sparingly to taste.

    I recently took some cooking lessons at a high end golf course north of Toronto and was surprised at how much salt is used in their kitchen. The Chef justified the amount he used by stating it was Kosher salt, but say what you want, it's still salt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think all of us would be surprised by the amount of salt used in commercial kitchens. Oh...and I got a kick out of the comment: "It's Kosher salt". Hey...it's all sodium chloride! LOL!

      Delete