Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Notes on Dragons, Food, and the Day to Day

I have a good friend with a good job. Nice salary. Benefits. And he does his job well. Life is good.

But he also spends his spare time doing something he really loves. Something that brings joy to peoples' lives. He even made some money off of his hobby. He loved trying to balance the two - His real job and his hobby. Heck. He needed to. With a family and all.

But this week the hammer fell.

His boss called him into his office.

"We think your 'hobby' is detracting from your job."

My friend asked for specifics. (He was doing his job well.)

No specifics were given. But the company detected that there was a percentage of his life that was devoted to something else. Devotion that could be devoted to and sucked up by the company. The company was not satisfied with 100%. They wanted that and more.

It was at that point that my friend began to reconsider. Perhaps his 'hobby' could be, just might be, his job. His calling. After all. He was good at it. People wanted it. And it did make money.

Hmm... What to do. What to do.

I've been in similar situations. I love cooking. I love writing. And I love going from town to town to meet folks like you and spend some time sharing cooking stories. I could do this forever.

But it's not a real job,
some folks say. It doesn't quite pay all the bills. And what about the group benefits?

Those folks are dragons.

I read some good fiction today. And in doing so, it seemed the dragons with their accusations and doubts faded from my mind.

Cuz in the wise and winsome words of G.K. Chesterton: “Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”




So tomorrow I'm gonna cook a great meal for folks visiting from out of town. 


Then I'm going to write another chapter in my upcoming cookbook. 

And as if that wasn't enough, I'm going to book another gig at a food and wine fest up north.

Why?

Cuz it's time to beat those dragons down.

What dragon will you beat down this week?

Let me know...


8 comments:

  1. I feel very often that I am not fighting those dragons though I should..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling, Medeja. But there's strength in numbers. So perhaps those of us who shy away from the battle should start whispering in each other's ears...to have at it... :-)

      Delete
  2. Huzzah and high-five to that. The soul-suckers can go take a leap as far as I'm concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an inspiring post, and what a good reminder that I need to dust off my sword and fight those dragons. I hope you mount that dragons head where everyone can see it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dragons, ha, ha, ha, ha ! I'm living in a medieval zoo Warren! I slay one, it comes straight back at me with two heads. I will keep fighting the fight though Warren, you can absolutely count on me for that. :o) (Happy New year ! I hope you had a good one)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny! I often feel the same way. Slay one and it's back at you. Well, at least we know there are others like us out there with swords unsheathed. Cheers to a great new year!

      Delete